Photo Gallery
Photo Gallery
Photo Gallery
Photo Gallery
Photo Gallery

Bowyers' Hall Blue Plaque Site

Muniments Committee members Sinclair Rogers, Ian Spring, Simon Leach and Mark Benstead met the Master in Monkwell Square, by London Wall near Cripplegate, on the rainy morning of 26 Jan. The purpose of the visit was to view the intended site for a Blue Plaque, to which the City of London is indicating its agreement in principle, marking the approximate site of the 15th and 16th century Bowyers' Hall. In the Company's latter heyday, from the mid-1400s to the late 1500s, the Hall is reckoned to have been a workspace for some 30 longbow-makers. Its location, described in Stow's 1598 Survey of London, is now occupied by the private modern town houses of Monkwell Square on the right hand side of this picture; the smaller house occupied by the Company from the late 1500s through to 1650 was sited near the left hand side of the picture, now City property, where the plaque is intended to be located.

Activities Menu