Arms on the ceiling of Guildhall
The restored Guildhall roof of 1862 was destroyed by enemy action in December 1940. A temporary steel roof was erected which was in place by 1943, when Winston Churchill received the Freedom of the City, but was still in use for the Coronation Banquet in 1953. In that same year, Sir Giles Gilbert Scott's proposals for a new roof were accepted. This is covered with Collyweston stone tiles and is supported by stone arches strengthened with hidden steel trusses. The oak interior was decorated with the shields of the Livery Companies, five per bay, odd-numbers by order of precedence on the North side and even numbers on the South side. 1
The coat of the arms of the Bowyers' Company is positioned in a bay on the South side with those of the Innholders (32), Poulters (34), Coopers (36), Bowyers (38) and Blacksmiths (40).
1 The London Encyclopaedia, 1983