Peter Begent Master 1996-1998
Court Assistant the Reverend John Hayton TD and Upper Warden Mr Richard Model write:
Peter Begent lived from 30 May 1930 - 7 July 2001. On leaving school he entered health service administration and rose through the ranks, to become an Associate of the Chartered Institute of Secretaries and Administrators along the way. His monument in this regard is probably Wexham Park Hospital, where he actually died, which he guided from before the first sod was turned until after completion when it was at its peak as a centre of healing. After this period he started his own accountancy practice in Burnham which was later joined to a larger practice.
An erudite and rigorous self-taught scholar of history he became a considerable expert on heraldry. He is the co-author (with Humphrey Chesshyre, currently Clarenceux King of Arms and Garter secretary ) of the definitive work of 'The Order of the Garter'. He wrote and edited several monographs on the architecture and heraldry in St George's Chapel, Windsor and was the accepted authority on the stained glass of the Chapel.
He had a grant of arms from the College of Heralds which incorporated his interest in archery and the City of London.
After the devastating fire of 1992 at Windsor Castle, Peter was called in as an heraldic authority on the restoration project for the several hundred shields and banners in St Stephen's Hall and was personally complimented by both HM the Queen and HRH Prince Philip.
An enthusiast for Belgian beer, engendered on numerous trips to Knokke to shoot popinjay, (Belgian - style archery,). He enjoyed good food and wine. He was Master of the Bowyers Company 1996-1998, during which period Past Master Sir Roger Cork, his close friend, was Lord Mayor.